Thursday, January 6, 2011

Becky's Bottom Line: Winter Break, For Mom Too

By Becky Brownstein
Becky Brownstein is a  wife, mother of five, cleaning lady, chef, program/trip organizer, taxi driver, blogger and all around great gal that lives in Kingston, Pennsylvania. Visit her website at http://spitsgiggles.blogspot.com where she shares all her experiences as a mother with the motto, "When all else fails, laugh!" 

"I want to do things that take time and are not rushed. I want to be 
chilled out and not be rushed. I want to enjoy my family...because I can."
Winter Break, For Mom Too
I hated when my kids had vacation from school. The thought of them fighting, the constant cooking, constant laundry, noise, the messes (Oy, the messes) and the lack of structure caused me such headaches and back pain that I thought I would have a nervous breakdown. I needed them to be in school so I could get things done, especially because there was always a baby at home. Not to mention the much needed quiet; I needed that respite.

Fast forward to now.

My kids are on all different schedules. I am in and out of my car between 10 and 11 times a day. Pick ups, drop offs, play dates, food shopping, school lunch, nap time etc. If you could see the inside of my car you might want to vomit. It kind of resembles the inside of my purse. It consists of loose pieces of paper, receipts, sandwich baggies and various other kid and Mommy droppings. With a bunch of older-ish kids, my life is in hyper drive. I can’t catch my breath. Plus, I have a job now that I do from home and I still have my stay at home mom responsibilities; i.e., cleaning lady/cook. To say things are hectic in my life right now is an understatement.


Now it’s winter break. I don’t have to get my kids out of bed in the morning and beg them to get dressed in a timely manner. I don’t have to make sure lunches are made before I go to bed even though I would so badly rather go to bed. I don’t have to make sure there are always clean uniforms. I don’t have to rush rush rush wherever I am to get to the next pick up on time. I get to take a break. A real break. I can now look out my window at the deafening snow fall and not have a panic attack from thinking about how early I need to be up to shovel out my HUGE car so I can get my kids to school.

Right now winter break is as much a break from school for me as it is for my kids. I still have a kid who naps, so trips are going to be a little challenging. But I don’t really want to take a trip. I would much rather stay put and let the kids play in the snow and then have them come back inside for hot cocoa. I would much rather have a movie night and make fresh popcorn on the stove top in a pot. I want to draw pictures with my kids and maybe even organize the toys (maybe). I want to do things that take time and are not rushed. I want to be chilled out and not be rushed. I want to enjoy my family because I can.

Bottom line is: My house is going to become a disaster whether I fret about it or not.The kids will fight; they are kids. I will have to cook or prepare food a lot because they do need to eat. The laundry needs to get done everyday anyways, whats a few extra things? (Yeah, I’m totally pushing it with that so I’ll stop.) Because of the inevitable, it is my choice as to whether I want to enjoy it or not. It is a break after all.

2 LadyMama voices:

chaiky said... [Reply to comment]

go becky go! good attitude...and remember if you have a lock yourself in the bathroom moment...call me :)

CH MOM said... [Reply to comment]

Heartwarming, Becky!
As a mother of four under the age of 5, and stuck in the house during the last storm, i was meant to read this!
HOW DO YOU FIND THE TIME TO WRITE?!